Rev. Edward C. Roush
Ed was born in Buffalo in 1933. At Lafayette High School he was a member of the rowing team, sang in a barbershop quartette, was captain of the cheerleading squad, and participated in the Buffalo Opera Workshop. He attended the University of Buffalo, where he was a member of Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity and had roles in several musicals. He received his bachelor’s degree in music in 1956.
For the next five years Ed was a student at the Boston University School of Theology. He was ordained in 1959, returning to BU for further graduate work, receiving his master’s degree in church history in 1961.
After assignments as director of the Wesley Foundation at the University of Northern Illinois and associate pastor at a Methodist parish in Worcester Ed joined the staff of the admissions department at
Boston University. For the next decade he assisted countless young men and women and their parents in navigating the difficult process of becoming students at BU. He also served for several years as coach of the university’s tennis team.
In 1974 Ed began a long career in the insurance business, from which he never fully retired. He traveled throughout New England helping members of the clergy to manage their finances and plan their retirements. He loved his work and enjoyed the people he was serving, maintaining contact with many of them right up to the end of his life.
Ed and Carol were married in 1969. They bought a house in Newton Lower Falls and embarked on a long, happy marital adventure. Together they raised six children who in turn have blessed the family with thirteen grandchildren. Their extended family now includes: Cynthia Fitzgerald and her husband Jaye of
Princeton, Mass., Mark Ferlisi and his wife Wendy of Charlotte, NC, David Ferlisi and his wife Jeannie of Cornersville, Tennessee, Dr. Peter Ferlisi and his wife Lynne of Mansfield, Joanna Roush of Oxford, and Katrin Chapman and her husband Paul of Lincoln.
Ed has been a very active member of the United Parish of Auburndale for over forty years, singing in the choir, serving on a host of committees and assisting in the planning of many special services. He has also been an involved member of the Lower Falls community. He served on the PTO board of the Hamilton School in the 1970s and for many years on the organizing committee for the annual “Falls Ball.” He was also a charter member of the Lower Falls Poker Club, organized by a group of house-bound men during the great blizzard of 1978.
It was rare to see Ed without a smile, or chat with him without hearing a joke or two. His stories about Buffalo were seemingly endless; he loved to reminisce about growing up in the 1930s and 1940s. He was vibrant, warm, concerned. He loved to meet people and wherever he went could easily come up with something nice to say to everyone he encountered. He seemed to have a mission in life to spread good cheer.
Funds are being gathered to erect a bench and plant a tree in memory of Ed at the Hamilton Park in Newton Lower Falls. Contributions can be sent to the Lower Falls Improvement Association, c/o John Stewart, 23 Pierrepont Road, Newton MA 02462. The Association (“LFIA”) is a non-profit foundation.